Friday 1 March 2019

IT WILL MAKE YOU STRONG


I stumbled across this quote recently:
"I will make you happy, said Life, but first, I will make you strong."
I wasn't able to discover its origins, but it immediately struck a chord.

This week, I attended a municipal public meeting for the purpose of exploring the pros and cons of a development proposal for land adjacent to my home at Kingston Beach.  I was there with many of my neighbours.  Oddly enough, it was the biggest gathering of neighbours in our small community for several years.  We live closely together, and most of the time we are friendly with each other; but on balance, we all value our privacy. 

Watching each of my neighbours go to the podium and listening to them share their thoughts and concerns, I was struck by how little I really know them.  We greet each other when we meet at the garbage shed every Monday morning.  We sometimes work together to fill a pot hole in the road or to repair a mailbox.  We wave to each other when we pass or stop briefly to chat when we meet each other out on a stroll.  I could go next door to borrow a cup of sugar or a measure of flour - but we're not close...we're "neighbourly".

And yet, in the council chambers where we met to listen and speak, we all sat closely together.  I saw glances of support exchanged and whispered encouragements offered.  There was a web of connection between us, a combination of common interest and enough shared sentiment to allow us to have empathy.  It drew us together and, for a short while, we were united. 

The odd thing was, it was a challenge - a crisis of sorts - that brought us into that circle.  I don't think for a moment that collectively, we all have the same opinion about the development proposal - some will favour it, some will resist it, and others likely won't care one way or the other. 

It reminded me of how at First United we are going through a period of unsettled wondering, knowing that things are changing but not yet recognizing the Way ahead and being deeply uncertain about what sort of faith community we will become.  I'm not good at sitting patiently while this sort of tension works on me; my discomfort is often on display as frustration and anger.   

Perhaps, I can apply the lessons I learned this week: be present, be supportive, be honest, have empathy.

I will pray for strength too.
Pat
Take This Away With You

Our capacity to make peace
with another person and with the world,
depends very much on our capacity to
make peace with ourselves.
~ Thich Nhat Hanh~

A Week's Worth of Gratitude

Saturday ~ a good meal and great music
Sunday ~ Coffee by the Choir, my bowling buddies
Monday ~ Sheila Clark's cake mixes
Tuesday ~ the lady who delivers my mail
Wednesday ~ important work done well
Thursday ~ neighbours with a common cause
Friday ~ sausages

No comments:

Post a Comment