Friday 29 March 2019

COMMUNITY AND BELONGING


grew up in a era when iconic sports broadcaster Howard Cosell dominated the airwaves with his special (over-wrought?) style of announcing the play-by-play of professional boxing matches and football games.  I can remember listening to him interview athletes as they stared into the harsh camera lights, trying to explain their feelings about winning or losing a contest.  Howard had a phrase that I heard more than once in his career: he used to exclaim in passionate tones, "Oh, the joy of victory!  Oh, the agony of defeat!"  Howard was never one to spare the hyperbole when it came to his announcing duties.

If Howard had been present at the Westside Bowl on Wednesday night, he'd would have been hard-pressed to find people to interview along those lines of defeat or victory.  Our inaugural First United Bowling Night was more along the lines of fun, laughter, fellowship, and high spirits.  I felt it was a night for belonging and community.  Certainly, there was joy in abundance; but, if there was any agony, it would have been the following morning when stiff muscles protested against unfamiliar activity from the previous night.

I am ever amazed and always heartened where I find community - where I experience a sense of belonging.  For a short period, we were a team...Harry, Bev, Kristal, Agnes, Mel, Don and me.  Competitors in a minor way, but a team for certain.  Honestly, it didn't matter (much) about the score.  I gave up worrying about that after the first ball rolled down the lane.  We high-fived with abandon.  The simple sharing of time together, commiserating over our gutter balls (many), celebrating the small successes of our strikes and spares.  It was nothing short of fine. 

It was all I had hoped for and more than I expected.  I think I'll do it again.
Pat
Take This Away With You

A deep sense of love and belonging is an
irreducible need of all people.  We are
biologically, cognitively, physically and
spiritually wired to love, to be loved, and to
belong.  When those needs are not met, we
don't function as we were meant to.  We
break.  We fall apart.  We numb.  We ache.  We
hurt others.  We get sick.
~ Brene Brown ~

A Week's Worth of Gratitude

Saturday ~ 9 deer watching me from the corn field
Sunday ~ woolly bear caterpillar
Monday ~ Jackie Ralph singing O Canada
Tuesday ~ eating well
Wednesday ~ bowling buddies
Thursday ~ finding friends with Jacob
Friday ~ John15:17

No comments:

Post a Comment