Friday 14 June 2019

LISTEN UP!


When I was in army basic training 43 years ago, the sergeant who was responsible for instructing us used call out "listen up!" in a very loud voice.  It was his way of getting our attention before passing on some important piece of information.

Even now, I am conscious of times when it is important to listen to the voices that are around me and within me.  Those times are when something tells me to be alert, to pay attention to what is going on.  Something important is happening - I need to listen up!

The voices I hear generally fall into two categories: the voices of fear and hate; and, the voices of hope and love.  I have found that no matter what the issue at hand is, both voices are lurking in the background, waiting for the opportunity to speak up and dominate the discussion.  And, I've discovered that it's up to me to decide which voice I'm going to listen to.  "Pat", I'll ask myself, "which voice are you going hear?  The voice of fear or the voice of hope?"  To be honest, sometimes it's easier and in a crooked way, more satisfying to hear the voice of fear.  There's a weird feeling of comfort in giving way to fear and retreating from important moments.

Inevitably though, the voice that needs my attention is the voice of hope.  That's the voice that will call me to dig deep and find a Way to work things out; it's the voice of love that calls me to give second thought to how I want to live in the world, how I want to be with other people.  The voice of hope is the one I need to cultivate and exercise, to make it stronger and constant.

You might think that I'm exaggerating this idea of the voices we listen to...but, I don't think so.  I think it's these voices which govern the perspective we take on life.  If it's fear I listen to, then I see and experience a life that's tinged with anger and frustration.  When hope and love fill my head, life's ingredients are joy, generosity, kindness and laughter.

Listen up!  Listen for hope and love.  Blessings and peace to all.
Pat
Take This Thought Away With You
"Only one life, that soon is past.
Only what's done with love will last."
~ poet, C.T. Studd ~

A Week's Worth of Gratitude

Saturday ~ smell of lilacs along the side road
Sunday ~ Agnes
Monday ~ Colleen Seaman
Tuesday ~ Nancy Petanowitch
Wednesday ~ recovery
Thursday ~ lunch and a friend
Friday ~ Choir

No comments:

Post a Comment