Friday 14 June 2019

INNOVATION AND ADAPTATION


I wonder where that goldfish found the courage to leap from the smaller bowl to the larger?  The risk of failure was pretty high...it's not like the goldfish had practiced jumping before.  This was likely a once in a lifetime opportunity to make a big change, change that would alter everything...new life for the goldfish.

I was waiting in a parking lot for a friend to join me for lunch at a local restaurant.  Something caught my eye about the row of cars stationed opposite me.  There was a small bird, a sparrow I think, that was jumping and fluttering up to the bumper and grill of each of the cars.  At first I thought the bird was hurt; but I soon detected what was going on.  The sparrow was gleaning dead bugs to eat from the front of the cars.  Those vehicles, and the insects gathered on the highway, were a virtual smorgasbord for that bird.  I thought to myself, isn't that amazing!  The adaptation and innovation that sparrow used to find a new way to feed itself and its fledglings; how would a bird change its natural habits to see dead bugs on a bumper as a source of food?

We're in a period of transition at First United.  How we do church is going to change...whether we like it or not.
Our challenges are complex and some of the decisions we make will be difficult.  Our trust, commitment and faith will be tested.

We can learn a lot from the example of the goldfish and the sparrow.  

Old ways won't open new doors...
Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment