Friday 21 June 2019

IN GOOD COMPANY


Last Tuesday, I did something that was a bit foolhardy, but it turned out to be instructive.  It reinforced my understanding that in order to experience the wonder of life, you actually have to live it...good or bad.  The only way to be on the Way is to get out there and do it.

Having returned from the car auction in Milton, I decided I would walk home from Rockford to my home at Kingston Beach.  Using the abandoned rail trail for most of the journey, that's about 17.5 kms.  I set out at 3 pm and was home, footsore and muscle weary at 6:25 pm.  I had a blister on my right heel, another on the ball of my left foot and I think I'm going to lose a toenail on my right foot.  The weather was fine and the walk was great!

I met only two other people along the trail; a woman on a bike and another hiker who turned out to be Fred Wallace (our sports commentator on local radio).  Like me, Fred walks for many reasons; for health and fitness, for recreation, for fresh air, for the joy of it.  I stopped and chatted briefly with him (he was headed south and I was going north) and we both marvelled a bit about crossing paths out in the middle of nowhere. 

The unlikely circumstance of it was a bit of a wonder to me, a thought that occupied me and took my mind off my sore feet for a few kilometers.  The encounter reminded me, to use someone else's words, that life is not a spectator sport.  Living fully is not me strolling down an aisle at the grocery store of life, filling my shopping cart with only the stuff I like.  To get as much as I can from life, I have to jump in and stay in. 

It's a lot like being on the Way and being a member of a faith community; some parts of the experience aren't easy or pleasant, but we persist and continue the journey knowing we are in good company.

Stay the course!  Blessings and peace to all.
Pat
Take This Thought Away With You

"Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it,
casts the shadow of our burdens behind us."
~ Samuel Smiles ~

A Week's Worth of Gratitude

Saturday ~ being socked in
Sunday ~ Joy, Yvonne, Marlene, Marsha
Monday ~ garden work
Tuesday ~ long, long walks
Wednesday ~ Ryan Brown, civic leader
Thursday ~ rain drop rhythm on a tin pot
Friday ~ summer solstice

No comments:

Post a Comment