Friday 19 July 2019

RENEWAL


There's something about the drift of summer that pushes me towards a bit of self-care; or perhaps it would be better to name it renewal.  It's a time when I find myself open to opportunities and suggestions that contribute to a sense of purpose, a hearty dose of fun and joy, and a smattering of appeal to my better nature.  It is, by my own definition, a time of inward gaze...but, done in the company of friends.  To be able to experience it that way implies being in a heightened state of trust, which can be liberating in itself.

This past week has been full of happenings that fall into that shape-shifting category of uplifting renewal.  I had lunch with a friend (not a great lunch, but a great friend); I had a sweaty-hot day at the car auction that was redeemed by an even hotter market and a sense of a job well done; and, I spent a day with the boys on blue water, under blue skies and white cliffs; I was gifted some unexpected free time by a thoughtful friend.  Some of my hours were spent in company at Inglis Falls listening to the wood thrushes who seem to live only in that neighbourhood; I invested time in fellowship rehearsing some songs, practicing guitar or gently disputing how best to live life fully.  And I read - - - a lot of reading: some of it sobering, some of it entrancing, all of it nutritious to my soul.

Looking back, I still don't know that it is that makes that collection of events, activities and people such a potent cure for the grind of life.  At the close of a week this full, I might be exhausted and ready to hide, but instead I feel recharged and restored.  I wish all weeks were like this one...but then, perhaps I wouldn't appreciate the spectacular gift of something so rare.  I wonder if is what American poet Mary Oliver was trying to convey when she wrote*:
"God, rest in my heart and fortify me,
take away my hunger for answers,
let the hours play upon my body."

May you be fortified and fed.  Blessings and peace to you.
Pat
* "Sometimes", by Mary Oliver in Red Bird - published 2008.

Take This Thought Away With You

"Nothing in the universe ever grew from the outside in."
~ Jack Kakakaway, spiritual father to Richard Wagamese
Embers, Douglas & McIntyre, 2016 ~

A Week's Worth of Gratitude

Saturday ~ a day to read on the deck
Sunday ~ Mark Hendry
Monday ~ a fox on the run
Tuesday ~ first summer swim in the bay (briefly)
Wednesday ~ paddling with the boys
Thursday ~ gift of time from a friend
Friday ~ discerning the quality of stone

No comments:

Post a Comment