Friday 12 July 2019

ENOUGH


Most mornings, when I walk on Side Road 23, I pass by a dead, weather-blasted elm tree.  In that tree roost a minimum of three young adult crows; sometimes there will be as many as five or six...but never less than three.  So, by that reasoning, in that murder of crows, three make a quorum.  Three crows are enough reason for them to gather in their outpost elm tree.  As I approach the bottom of the tree, they all fly away, cawing their warnings and complaints - except for one, who always stays in place silently watching as I pass by.  I wonder if that crow is a leader, especially brave or perhaps, not a smart as the others?

Whenever I pass by those crows, a piece of bible scripture always runs through my mind.  It's that piece from Matthew 18:20, when Jesus says, "wherever two or three are gathered in my name, I am there in your midst."  I wonder if that applies to crows as well as Christians?

That phrase has been on my mind a lot lately.  I've been trying to wrap my head around the challenges that are confronting us as we map out a future path for our ministry and faith at First United.  At this point, questions out-number answers and wondering out-weighs certainty.  I'm fighting the tendency to think in terms of numbers and considerations of size; you know, big church versus little church, or large community versus small community. 

I've got to tell you that at this point, I'm beginning to get comfortable with the concept of "enough".  Enough doesn't have to be big or small, large or little - it just has to be enough.  A faith community doesn't have to be all things to all people, it just has to be enough.  Enough doesn't mean settling for mediocrity; it means activating our vision and mission and having hope and love enough to live into those commitments.

How many of us would it take to do that with grace and authenticity?  I'm thinking two or three is often enough.
More than that is a bonus.

May you all have a sense of being enough.  Blessings and peace to you.
Pat
Take This Thought Away With You

"However you define a faith community, it is your spiritual home."
~ Henri J.M. Nouwen, Spiritual Direction ~

A Week's Worth of Gratitude

Saturday ~ family and friends
Sunday ~ a helping hand from the Order of Good Cheer
Monday ~ fishing with Thom
Tuesday ~ a strong voice
Wednesday ~ Wilmer Lang McKay
Thursday ~ Agnes Martin
Friday ~ Cian and Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment