Friday 28 December 2018

EASTERN STAR


Wednesday (Boxing Day) was a day of complete rest for me - I slept in, ate a leisurely breakfast, read, napped, read, napped some more, went to bed early.  My body was telling me I needed to rest and so I did.  Completely.

I woke early on Thursday morning...around 4:30 am, feeling like I was ready for anything.  I was out the door long before daybreak to take a good long walk up the side road, to enjoy the stillness of a cold, clear, crisp morning.  At the head of the lane, I had my night vision and I could see everything quite clearly, especially in the light of a waning moon.  The sky was full of stars.

As I topped the first rise in the road, my eyes were drawn to an especially vivid star shining in the eastern sky ahead of me.  It was brilliant and so much bigger than the other stars, it shone like a beacon in the night.  Only the moon was brighter.

Seeing that star (turns out it isn't a star, but the planet Venus), made me think again of the visitors to the nativity scene - the shepherds from the field and the Wise Guys Men.  Just as we are tempted to think that Christmas is over on December 26th, there's a tendency to stop the birth story at the manger; but, some of the most fascinating parts come afterward.  The signs in the sky seen by the Wise Men-the Kings of the Orient-the Magi - what did they really see?  How did they give meaning or make sense of what they encountered?  When they saw the star in the east, were they looking at Venus like I was?  That would be really cool.

It's that sort of timeless personal connection that can make a story so special and give it life for thousands of years.  I only have to look at a new born baby or see Venus on a cold winter morning to feel more deeply the elements of Jesus' birth which continue to touch and cause me to wonder today.

May your days of wondering never end.
Pat
A Week's Worth of Gratitude

Saturday ~ Laura, Jonah and Georgia
Sunday ~ blessed are those that count the offering
Monday ~ singing with Stephen's daughters
Tuesday ~ heron feathers
Wednesday ~ a day of splendid, complete rest
Thursday ~ the eastern star
Friday ~ leftovers

Friday Prayer

Loving God, stay close to us as we
continue to celebrate the gift of Jesus.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment