Friday 2 November 2018

WHAT DO I NEED?


As I sat down to write this article, I struggled for a while, trying to decide on the correct title.  I was wavering between, "What do I want?" and, "What do I need?".  As you can see, I eventually landed on the latter question, influenced mostly by my self-understanding that I want a lot of things...things that tend to be frivolous or superficial...while the things I need are few but essential to a good life.  That difference between what I want and what I need has become more important as I get older and perhaps a bit wiser.

Two things I think I need are relationships and community.  I'm pretty certain that I can't live a good life and be happy without being in relationship and being in community.  That sounds simple and straightforward; in fact, it's more complicated and difficult to achieve than say, having a big new home or an expensive, flashy car.  Relationships and community - good ones - are rarer than diamonds.

The community I'm searching for is a lot like First United Church, with a few differences.  The differences would be minor in scope but significant in impact.  For instance, there would be more people to share my enthusiasm for a communal table - preparing food together, sitting down to eat, engaging in discussion, spending unhurried time together.  I'm not talking about grand dining, just simple, thoughtful meals taken in the company of people who share (or perhaps don't share) common ground.  Another difference would be more people who are engaged, who see themselves as partners, co-workers and activists in the grand project of putting faith into action; that would mean lending their muscle, mind and heart to give meaning to our vision of becoming an open and welcoming community led by the Love of God.  A third difference in this community I need would be a prevailing sense of energy, determination and hope.  The community would be infused with the conviction that, God being our helper, there's much we can do to build "a house where love can dwell, and all can truly live."

Over the next weeks and months, we are all going to have an opportunity to think about and respond to questions about the sort of community of faith we need and want.  It's important work that we need to do individually and together.  You've read what I need...I'd like to hear what you need. 

Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment