Sunday 28 October 2018

LISTEN...GOD IS CALLING


There is a hymn titled, "Listen, God is Calling".  The Choir has sung it before.  The first few lines go like this:
Listen.
Listen God is calling.
Through the Word inviting.
Offering forgiveness, comfort and joy.

I wrote last week about how trying events had been for me.  Somebody must have been listening.  I came to church on Sunday morning and it was like the worship service was designed for me.  It had everything I needed to help me get back on the Way.

What was so special?  Three things.

There was the baptism of Hayven Waukey.  I don't know Hayven or her family beyond the short time I spent with them Sunday, but I think there is no sacrament that we celebrate that is as uplifting to me as a baptism.  This may sound uncaring - it doesn't matter to me whose child it is, a baptism is full of hope, promise and joy.  I'm certain that it is an important event for the family.  It's really important for me to be part of the community that surrounds that blessing and welcoming of a child.

Then there was the telling of a tale - the Stone Soup story.  The story was told as it will never be told again.  Who could ever duplicate the accent of the storyteller?  Was he from the Caribbean or somewhere in Eastern Europe?  And the immersion of the children, their complete and utter belief in a magic soup stone.  You all saw it - you were watching them, as I was watching all of you.  For a moment, we all believed in magic too.

We wrapped up with a communal meal - a warm, hospitable offering of donated soups.  There's no more certain sign of community than a shared meal...the sound of slurping, the clinking of spoons on empty bowls, the return for seconds and thirds.  I was well fed.

I think most of the time, I hear what I want to hear.  Last Sunday I heard what I needed.

May the Lord bless us and keep us, be gracious to us and give us peace.
 Pat
Quote for the Week
"Light. Sun. Shining. Rays.
Compassion. Wisdom. Radiance. Grace.
Joy. Hope. Kindness. Love.
These are the things we are made of.
~ Mary Davis ~

A Week's Worth of Gratitude
Saturday ~ Will Shakespeare
Sunday ~ Jessica Misener
Monday ~ people who work for the common good
Tuesday ~ healing energy
Wednesday ~ the sound of snow crystals on fallen leaves
Thursday ~ flu shot
Friday ~ clean drinking water

Friday Prose
"Move in the direction that brings you closer to Creator in all things.
The trail will be revealed and the helpers will come to you."
~ Richard Wagamese, Embers, 2016, Douglas & McIntyre ~

No comments:

Post a Comment