Thursday 6 September 2018

TEAMS AND TEAMWORK


Twenty years in the army taught me the value of teamwork.  It was drilled into me when I was an officer cadet in basic training and it was a major component of my work for the next 20 years.  As a leader, part of my responsibilities was to ensure that all members of the team were working together to accomplish the mission.

The bad news is that, through my middle age, I have lost some of my appreciation for the importance of teamwork.  The good news is, it's not irretrievably lost...I'm learning all over again, that things turn out  better when I work as part of a team.  I am reminded every day of my limitations, physically and mentally.

About a month ago, I announced to my fellow residents of Kingston Beach that Thom and I would be tearing out the old, crooked and sagging mailbox stand at the head of our laneway.  The plan was to replace it with something solid and serviceable. One of the neighbours responded quickly with an offer to help.  He is an active 76 years old and quick to volunteer, so I told him yes.

The work started Thursday morning at 9 am sharp and we finished at 2:30 pm - including a hour's break for lunch.  I was pleased with the end result; and, it was deeply satisfying for me to work with others and to share in the outcome of our labours.  You know that feeling...a deep, contented sigh at the end of a demanding job.


This may come as a surprise to you, but I get the same satisfaction from working with you at First United - whether it is on Council, or at coffee time, or a community dinner or book club or Choir.   While it is true that I able to do many things by myself, working with partners or as part of a team brings significant rewards to my heart and soul.  The strange thing about teamwork is that the object of the effort often doesn't matter as much as the experience of being alongside others in a common cause.  And the added bonus of teamwork as a Christian, is we are always able to call on God as our helper.

If you think that you don't have any special gift or talent to contribute, take this small piece of advice from someone who is re-learning the value of teamwork.  Just give your presence, your being as part of a group of others - believe me, that's a gift.

May the Lord bless us and keep us, be gracious to us and give us peace.
 Pat
Quote for the Week

"We rise by lifting others."
~ Robert Ingersol ~

No comments:

Post a Comment