Friday 14 September 2018

I'M A HAPPINESS JUNKIE


Intuitively, I know that life is not exclusively about happiness.  I know that the pursuit of happiness can, at times, be a selfish and shallow endeavour.  I know that, but...I really like to be happy.  So, being an admitted happiness addict, I do my best to temper my hunger for happiness by making certain it's not all about me.  Usually, I fail at that because, well, I'm the one experiencing the happiness and it's hard for me not to think I'm at the centre of it all.

This past week, I've been very happy, most of the time.  I was happy to be together with Philip Cochrane, Sue Bos and Jacob Shaw (our student intern minister) as we met for the first time as Jake's Lay Supervision Team.  We spent two hours after worship last Sunday, talking about how we are going to support Jake's ministry at First United, how we will work together and what we each want to get out of the experience.  We shared a meal together.  That was a happy experience.

Later in the week, Church Council met for the first time since June and we had a packed agenda - I was dreading the load of business we would have to get through.  At the end of the evening, three hours later, I was a happy person.  We did really good work as a group; our discussions were meaningful, our decisions were well considered and our intentions were faithful.  I was happy to get back together with that group of dedicated ministers and lay leaders. 

Mid-week, I drove to Toronto and back with a couple of friends.  We were off to a meeting at Toronto Conference and the best part of the experience was the chance to talk for the two-hour ride down to the City and to resume those discussions for the return journey.  In this day and age, the opportunity to pay undivided attention to other people for that length of time is rare.  We covered a lot of ground, literally and figuratively; I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Yesterday, everywhere I turned I encountered happiness: I was at the celebration of life for Terry Moore and learned things about Terry that I never knew.  I met many of his friends and family.  I helped the women who were hosting the reception in Griffith Hall following the service - I was the dishwasher - and being with those ladies made me appreciate the benefits of being part of a team that is engaged in offering generous, heart-felt hospitality.  Later that day, I sat in the choir loft for the first full choir practice of the new worship season.  We welcomed each other, prayed for those who were not able to be there and we sang for the next 90 minutes.  We sang old songs and new songs, we sang our hearts out.  to top the evening off, when I came out of choir practice, I emerged into our lobby and it was chock full of Guides and their parents - a beehive of excitement and happiness.  What a way to end the day!

There's enough grief in this world for all of us.  I'm grateful that there is an equal measure of happiness.

May the Lord bless us and keep us, be gracious to us and give us peace.


Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment