Thursday 10 January 2019

THE KISS PRINCIPLE


In my early days as a soldier, while undergoing basic training, my life was governed by two principles.  The first had to do with communications; it went something along the lines that any order that might be misunderstood, will be misunderstood.  The purpose of that principle was to encourage clarity and brevity when issuing instructions and orders to others.  The KISS principle was the second fundamental for success in the army: keep it simple.  Here I am now in my 60's and the KISS principle is once again emerging in my life.

Over the holiday season, I took the opportunity provided by a lull in work to rest, recover and replenish.  From Christmas Day until after New Years, I stayed close to home and limited my activities to walking, reading, eating and sleeping.  I kept it simple.  It turned out to be one of the best holidays I have had in many years.  Not only did my body respond positively to lots of fresh air and plenty of rest, but my soul did too.

The positive effects I gained from the KISS principle were brought home to me one afternoon as I was coming back from a walk down Side Road 23.  Coming down the lane, I could hear the familiar sounds of the two boys who live beside me, out on their back deck playing hockey.  They live for the sport and every spare moment is spent in the game.  By their excited voices, I know that they are immersed, heart and mind, in the back and forth scramble of shinny hockey with a tennis ball and dreams of greater things.    Those kids instinctively know how to keep it simple.

A game of shinny hockey might not be your thing, but consider how simple it is to live simply. 

Slow down.
Pay attention to your body and soul - give it fresh air and exercise.
Be with people you love.
Feed and stimulate your mind with stories and new ideas.
Be grateful for who and what you have.

May we all find some of the simplicity of childhood.
Pat
A Simple Quote
The real things haven't changed.
It is still best to be honest and truthful;
to make the most of what we have;
to be happy with simple pleasures;
and have courage when things go wrong.
~ Laura Ingalls Wilder ~

A Week's Worth of Gratitude

Saturday ~ Chris & Agnes, the budget team
Sunday ~ Ruth, Lloyd & Laurel
Monday ~ a night at the movies
Tuesday ~ turkeys gobbling in the corn field
Wednesday ~ sunlight & patches of blue sky
Thursday ~ continuous learning
Friday ~ return to crisp & cold

QUESTION OF THE WEEK

If a large group of starlings is called a "murmur",
and a gathering of crows is called a "murder",
what do you call a flock of turkeys?

Pass your answer to Pat.
The first correct answer received
will win a Tim Horton's gift card.



No comments:

Post a Comment